Caring for our Environment
We take pride in our responsibility to care for the environments around our locations. Across our holiday parks, holiday cottages and other locations we understand the importance of conserving habitats and striving to further improve them.
Our environmental strategy focuses on three levels
Our Local Environment
We recognise the value of the environment in which we operate our locations as part of the Holgates Family Group, caring for the beautiful landscapes which attract our visitors, which contain many rich and fragile habitats.
We are committed to not only conserving these habitats, but we strive to improve them further, for the benefit of biodiversity, by creating new places with more opportunities for wildlife to flourish.
Our Local Community
We appreciate that we operate important businesses, in predominantly rural areas, recognising it is important that we make a positive contribution to the communities in which we work.
Our Global Environment
We recognise the responsibility we have to ensure that our business operations do not harm the wider global environment, therefore we strive to implement measures that help to conserve the world’s resources and moreover, we encourage our customers to participate too.
The environment measures below are not done just because we ought to, but because we want to. We care about our local community, environment and the wider impact on a global scale, and keenly play our part in their conservation. This passion is at the very heart of our organisation, it is embedded in our culture, and evident at every level of our organisation.
Our natural locations are our home, some of which have been part of the Holgates Family Group for over 65 years. If visiting our locations, please help us in caring for the environment any way you can.
Here are the many ways in which we strive to care for the environment:
Our Natural Environment
- We recognise that many of our parks are located in very special landscapes, which are protected for their natural beauty or for the rare species of wildlife living there.
- We respect the statutory protection afforded to these landscapes, and are committed to working with statutory agencies, such as Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty to preserve them.
- We work with nature conservation organisations to conserve and create wildlife habitats in and around our holiday parks and accommodation, taking particular care for rare species.
- We encourage our visitors to appreciate the value of the countryside with carefully planned access and interpretation.
- We plant new hedgerows using locally native species and manage old hedgerows in the traditional ways.
- We restore dry stone walls and other boundaries of environmental and historic interest.
- We manage our ponds, rivers and waterways for the benefit of biodiversity.
Our Local Community
- We are keen that our developments do not have a negative visual impact on the landscape.
- We use locally sourced, natural materials such as stone and wood in our construction activities.
- We endeavour to make new buildings blend into the local landscape.
- We make provision for people to enjoy the countryside through walking and cycling, thereby supporting other local businesses.
- We design our lighting so as not to create light pollution.
- We control noise in order not to disturb our neighbours.
- We encourage the local community to use our facilities.
- We endeavour to use local contractors whenever practical and promote local businesses to our customers
Our Global Environment
- We employ a variety of practical measures in place to conserve water and minimise its use.
- We monitor leaks acting swiftly to repair any damage.
- We have a variety of measures to reduce the consumption of electricity.
- We actively recycle as much of our waste as possible, and encourage customers to adopt similar practices.
- We use products made from recycled materials wherever possible.
- We always seek to purchase goods and materials which are from sustainable sources and avoid the use of harmful chemicals.
- We actively promote and encourage the use of public transport.